[Reader-list] an invitation to Project S.T.R.I.P.

Ram Ganesh Kamatham ramganeshk at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 11:01:19 IST 2009

Dear All

Just wanted to invite you to a play that might be of interest to some of you.
A couple of months ago, Q Theatre Productions in Mumbai contacted me
and asked me to write a play for the group. Quasar Thakore Padamsee
who had recently been on tour with a play in Australia was keen on
exploring the plight of indigenous peoples. I had recently been
skipping around the rural interiors of India near Tonk in Rajasthan,
Sagar near Bhopal and Warangal in A.P. and was beginning to drag my
own intellectual baggage - something on the lines of "interrogating
notions of development/progress."
We jumped into a laboratory process of play-making with a bunch of
actors and I'd like to invite you to the result.

The play is titled Project S.T.R.I.P. - a comedy of development - and
tells the story of the 'discovery' of an indigenous people on a
fictitious island in the Bay of Bengal and the resulting mayhem, given
the fact that the play is a satire. The questions I grappled with in
the play, were mostly driven by a line penned by P. Sainath, "Too
often, poverty and deprivation get covered as events." The paradigm
shift suggested, is to view deprivation in terms of processes.

I've been a steadfast lurker for quite a while and must credit the
list for throwing up a fairly diverse range of inputs and perspectives
for me to mull over. I thought it only fair to extend this invitation
to you all.

Warm regards
Ram

Project S.T.R.I.P.
- a comedy of development
@ Prithvi Theatre: 16th - 21st June 2009
@ Sathaye College : 27 - 28 June 2009
@ NCPA Experimental : 1 - 5 July 2009
Tickets: 26149546/39895050/www.bookmyshow.com
(We are unlikely to be able to travel with the play, so this is a
limited run of 17 shows in Mumbai.)

For more details:
http://addledbraindump.blogspot.com/2009/06/project-strip.html
http://qtpthescript.blogspot.com/2009/06/project-strip.html