[Reader-list] 'Men in uniform are Kashmir's problem, not solution'

Inder Salim indersalim at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 20:29:57 IST 2009

Thanks Dear Kshmendra

the two sleeping dogs in the all the four images are witness to what i
photographed with maximum zoom of my camera
. It is south of Kashmir , few years back.

may be army jawans were helping the two girls sitting on the stones.
But note, in the third image the two girls are sitting on stones, but
iin foruth image, in front of two army jawans one can see how their
position shifts from stones to the  ground. There is a clear
sumbission, which speaks a lot.

What has happened in Shopain, as we all know is not first time, but
many numerous tragic things have happened and security forces were
found directly involved in the acts, whether punished later on or not
is another point.

And so i guess,  it is almost natural to see some echo in the images,
echo of what has happened recently in Shopain.  Why it has surpirsed
you this time, i remember, in the past you have strongly condemned
such acts, either by security forces or by militans.  i respect that

Here, i remember, Gh. Mohd. Shad ( my teacher at Anantnag College )
read a  kashmiri poem  few years back at Sahitya Academy  NewDelhi,
HEADS AND TAILS . which narratted the horrible acts commited by both
security forces and militants. He read his own translation in englith
at the same time.

It is a well known fact, even before 1990 that Army jawans used to
call or visit women from neighbouring contonmnent village areas. I
know it becasue i used to go to Nawgam village to see my aunt. Nawgam
is one of biggest cantonmnent areas in South of kashmir.
But after 1990, something else added to that. which we explicity call
Mass rape. Posh Pura tragedy is one such example.

Yes, we are not talking here about the crimes commited by militants.
They are numerous, and we all condemn that. Even the List has
condemned the atorcities commited by militants or with militant
looking guys. We know both Hindu and Muslim women suffered terribly on
this account.

yes, about the army: in ancient Greek, it was a part of traiing
programme to rape the young boys. ....and during war, its
implementation meant the necesary  penetration into  the enemy's
territory. They believed so.

One of the ways to humiliate the enemy has been to rape its women
folk. Once, the winning army used to demolish the places of worships
besides looting their property and raping women.

But, humiliating women is still practicted, silently, unofficially
during wars in third world coutires. Bangladesh women suffered
terribley in 1971. and so have millions of women suffered during war,
and silently after that. it is sad, truly sad. i am moved to tears
even while talking about all this.

I beleive, it was Japan who supplied Korean women from conquered
territories to satisfy their men in uniforms.

Few years, back my wife was travelling  alone from Jammu to Delhi, and
she had her reservation, but it happened to a full of   Army Jawans.
The noble TT changed her reservation to civilan coach. He told my wife
that it is better to change

I know some retired Army jawans, and it is very intereting to listen
to  anedotes during service....... and how they satiate their lust by
raping Goats, buffaloes, mreres and hens even.

it is terrible to think even.

so love
is