[Reader-list] Fwd: Breaking Lines - Daastaan Books

Inder Salim indersalim at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 22:57:13 IST 2009

From: Daastaan Books  <daastaan at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 9:43 AM
Subject: Breaking Lines - Daastaan

Dear All,

I am extremely sorry for cross-posting. Please find below the
description of the project that I would like to initiate on behalf of
my publishing house. I would like to request you to suggest me a few
names of young visual & performance artists and photographers for the
collection. It will be really useful if you can also give me a name of
a curator/art historian who will be able to write short note on the
suggested artist and her/his works. Please do not hesitate to revert
back if you think further information is required in this regard.

Breaking Lines
Daastaan is a very young publishing house with only four titles to its
credit as of now. The first three titles were bilingual editions of
poetry by three poets. The fourth title featured German author and
musician Peter Pannke’s writings covering his songs, poems and essays.

Now, Daastaan is interested in initiating a project ‘Breaking Lines’
that will involve the publishing of a collection of poems, short
stories, photo-novellas and prose pieces written/created by young
writers, artists and photographers.

Breaking Lines is a series that hopes to feature the work of new
visual artists and writers as well as those already established. It is
a crossing of the threshold, a breaking of lines for both, as it looks
at work that is finding its voice and work that is breaking past its
established image. It showcases the experimental and the new.

The aim of this publication is to explore the cerebral elasticity of
the creative imagination. We thought of putting together those
writings/photographs/artwork that a writer/ an artist wouldn’t think
of publishing in a book. The ideal length of these pieces should not
be more than 15000 words and for images it may go up to 10-12 in
number. It could be one of those manuscripts that has been filed away
thinking it too naive, too provocative, too abstract or simply
meaningless and seemingly without context to publish.

The categories for this collection are: Visual Art (images of
paintings/installations/ sculptures), Creative Writing (poetry &
prose), Graphic Stories, Performance Art (images and texts). Some of
the confirmed contributors to this collection include Sarnath
Bannerjee, Riyaz Komu, Palash Krishna Mehrotra, Anita Roy, Manola K.
Gayatri, Biplam Rahman and Inder Salim.

 --
Daastaan
F - 23A Double Storey