[Reader-list] 'Men in uniform are Kashmir's problem, not solution'

Rajendra Bhat Uppinangadi rajen786uppinangady at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 15:20:39 IST 2009

Dear Rakesh, Inder,
       and all those who sermon about "respecting " women, and generalizing
the sweeping statements, please do little introspection before you sweep the
black brush on army jawans who risk their life 24 x7 at the law and order
issue of Jammu and Kasmir state, which has law and order issue, basically to
be controlled by the police force of the stste, not by army as such. Army
comes in when it is beyond the control of policy makers and executives who
for their selfish reasons fail in good governance, as this state had most of
the time has had a chief minister who lived like a maharaja , spending his
time in London and other places in golf clubs and roaming with starlets in a
scooter, never bothered with issues affecting his citizens.

  Atleast now, it has a chief minister, who has a seemingly good vision for
his citizens, unlike the previous deispensation of PDP and Congress alliance
which had Mufti Sayeed who for his daughter Rubina wanted the terrorists to
be leleased.!

  Please do think again, defence forces are for defending the nation at all
times, against the enemies of the nation, with offencive or defensive
actions, in peace time for emergency relief works at the times of natural
calamities, such as cyclones, floods and tsunamis or earthquakes, but to use
army for years in a state for law and order is big mstake the system of
governance is indulging in, and most importantly, insurgency at borders has
to be checked and elimiated at the borders, and inside help for such
insurgents has to be dealt by the police of the state, even with special
groups or SITs,  for such actions.

  If the defence forces such as army is used for long periods of time for
law and order issues in states except in special occassions like riots or
occassional law and order issues, then army looses its focus of attacking
the "enemy" as its own citizens who are abetting and helping the insurgents
are in psyche become enemies for them.

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 11:26 PM, Rakesh Iyer <rakesh.rnbdj at gmail.com>wrote:

> Dear Kshamendra
>
> The first lesson our Indian army needs to be taught is to respect women,
> not
> rape them. It's not just Kashmir where this is happening. Even the
> sensitive
> North-East shows that the army doesn't respect women, and infact misuses
> AFSPA to do what it wishes. And now, through the Salwa Judum, we have come
> to the point where the militia colludes with the paramilitary forces and
> other divisions to torture women through rapes and killings.
>
> This is not what the army is meant for. While politicians have
> misunderstood
> the problem and have sent the armed forces in certain areas, the army does
> not have the right to misuse the power they have been granted in their
> hands. With power comes responsibility, and it's a massive one, to ensure
> that people are not targetted and in particular women are not targetted.
>
> Whoever is a rapist or committing crime against women, whoever he is,
> whichever party and ideology he belongs to, deserves punishment and the
> army
> men are not exceptions to this rule I believe in. It's high time such army
> men are brought behind bars, and our army must be warned about this. The
> army is not sent to enjoy women at places they are stationed for their
> sexual needs; it's sent to protect the nation (or the borders in this case
> or ensure law and order) and they should do that. Otherwise they should
> stop
> being in the army and become gigolos or male prostitutes.
>
> Regards
>
> Rakesh

Rajen.