[Reader-list] SRK in trouble

Rakesh Iyer rakesh.rnbdj at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 20:31:24 IST 2009

Dear all

First of all, I think this effigy burning is too early a step to be taken.
All this effigy burning should not lead to any kind of violence. As someone
who has lived in Bhopal for 6 years and whose home is still in Bhopal (I
spend most of my time at Chennai for studies), I have seen, read and heard
about many effigy burnings. However, since SRK says that he has been
misquoted or the line has been changed, I think we need to look at the case
before doing such things.

It is fine if people say that if SRK has said so, then it's wrong and
something they protest against. But when nothing has been proved, effigy
burning is not the right thing.

The other problem is that of Prophet Muhammad. I think it's not just the
Prophet himself. If somebody says something against Ambedkar, or Lohia or
somebody else, there is this effigy burning and violence. Similarly, when
someone says something about Lord Ram or Krishna, then our Thackerays and
the RSS are there to unleash goons and create mayhem. This is not required.
Being a democracy, people are free to express their views.

Therefore, even if SRK feels that Prophet is a negative character, he is
entitled to his views. Of course, so are those who burn effigies, except
that at least there should be a proof that he did make such a sentence. And
since he says he has been misquoted, and the case will now be in court, let
the court decide the matter.

And let us not allow violence to spill on the streets.

Anyways, our gods and prophets across the world have done enough deeds for
which they can easily be criticized. Lord Ram, just to be the ruler among
humans, banished Sita in the name of purity from the kingdom. Lord Krishna
enjoyed sex with Radha in the name of love, that too before marriage; but
when anybody gives a rose or greeting card to somebody else on Valentine's
Day, our Sangh Parivar goes gaga in the name of Indian culture. And the
Prophet being talked about also had a marriage with a nine-year old girl,
that too when he was around 52. (Born in 570 AD and married in 622 AD, the
year of hijra) Take that for child marriage! And for Jesus Christ, while he
gave a noble message, some of his followers have taken upon the idea of
harvesting souls of Christ.

I have no issues with anybody not agreeing to my views mentioned here. They
are free to criticize me, denounce me and even burn my effigies (that is if
they have my photos to begin with). But please, do realize that we are not
given the right to violence. And don't indulge in violence for petty
purposes like to serve politicians.

And this is why I particularly feel putting a case like this is wrong. I
have no issues with people organizing protests on this, but I don't feel a
case is required. Neither are fatwas required. All those unnecessarily
indulging in such fatwas and claims, be it the Ashok Singhals or the Yakub
Qureshis should be fined and punished.

Regards

Rakesh