[Reader-list] Cyberwar guide for Iran elections

Monica Narula monica at sarai.net
Sun Jun 28 01:42:19 IST 2009

Cyberwar guide for Iran elections
Posted by Cory Doctorow, June 16, 2009 3:25 AM | permalink
SOURCE: boingboing.net

Yishay sez, "The road to hell is paved with the best intentions
(including mine). Learn how to actually help the protesters and not
the gov't in Iran."

The purpose of this guide is to help you participate constructively in
the Iranian election protests through Twitter.

1. Do NOT publicise proxy IP's over twitter, and especially not using
the #iranelection hashtag. Security forces are monitoring this
hashtag, and the moment they identify a proxy IP they will block it in
Iran. If you are creating new proxies for the Iranian bloggers, DM
them to @stopAhmadi or @iran09 and they will distributed them
discretely to bloggers in Iran.

2. Hashtags, the only two legitimate hashtags being used by bloggers
in Iran are #iranelection and #gr88, other hashtag ideas run the risk
of diluting the conversation.

3. Keep you bull$hit filter up! Security forces are now setting up
twitter accounts to spread disinformation by posing as Iranian
protesters. Please don't retweet impetuosly, try to confirm
information with reliable sources before retweeting. The legitimate
sources are not hard to find and follow.

4. Help cover the bloggers: change your twitter settings so that your
location is TEHRAN and your time zone is GMT +3.30. Security forces
are hunting for bloggers using location and timezone searches. If we
all become 'Iranians' it becomes much harder to find them.

5. Don't blow their cover! If you discover a genuine source, please
don't publicise their name or location on a website. These bloggers
are in REAL danger. Spread the word discretely through your own
networks but don't signpost them to the security forces. People are
dying there, for real, please keep that in mind...

#iranelection cyberwar guide for beginners (Thanks, Yishay!)
Previously:

* Iran SMS networks "mysteriously" fail right before elections ...
* Iran: Activists Launch Hack Attacks on Tehran Regime - Boing Boing
* Iranian election uprising: Twitter tracks it real-time, Iranian ...

6. Denial of Service attacks. If you don't know what you are doing,
stay out of this game. Only target those sites the legitimate Iranian
bloggers are designating. Be aware that these attacks can have
detrimental effects to the network the protesters are relying on. Keep
monitoring their traffic to note when you should turn the taps on or
off.

7. Do spread the (legitimate) word, it works! When the bloggers asked
for twitter maintenance to be postponed using the #nomaintenance tag,
it had the desired effect. As long as we spread good information,
provide moral support to the protesters, and take our lead from the
legitimate bloggers, we can make a constructive contribution.

Please remember that this is about the future of the Iranian people,
while it might be exciting to get caught up in the flow of
participating in a new meme, do not lose sight of what this is really
about."

please share this article widely. This is our protocol.

Monica Narula
Raqs Media Collective
Sarai-CSDS
www.raqsmediacollective.net