[Reader-list] Queer Parade Accounts?

prakash ray pkray11 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 01:58:08 IST 2009

Hi Shuddha,

Fabulous. Simply fabulous. No other words can describe the Queer Pride Rally
2009 (Delhi). The first thing which I noted that just before the rally
began, it rained for a few minutes. It was a huge relief for us in Delhi
after days of scorching sun. However, hundreds and hundreds of delhites were
already there at the Barahkhamba point from where the rally was to start,
the weather set the mood. It was to start at 5.30pm and it actually started
on time. For someone like me who has participated in hundreds of rallies in
Delhi and elsewhere, it was the first surprise. Suddenly, I heard a band
playing - the Asha Band. ' I am in a rally or in a Baraat', I thought. Then
I spotted 4 or 5 Dholwallas. All around people were dancing. Many carried
placards - all handwritten in various colours, in Hindi, in English. A few
were shouting slogans demanding repeal of 377. But no anger in atmosphere. A
pure celebration. Celebration of diversity. Heterosexuals, gays, lesbians,
transgenders, Hijras, women, men, old, young -  colourful masks, cool
glasses, rainbow umbrellas, baloons, whistles, saaris, skirts, jeans, kurta,
shorts.......

The rally was dancing forward. No line, no discipline. No leaders. All
smiling, laughing, singing faces. It was not a rally nor a parade nor a show
of pride. It was a grand celebration. A few, hardly 10-15, police staff
walking with around 3000 people. These staff were without any stress, at
times smiling and laughing with the rallyists. We reached Jantar-Mantar by 7
pm. I looked at the assembled crowd and immediately noticed two things-
presence of Hijras in good number and women outnumbering men.

For me, this rally was not only about some demands or asserting sexual
rights. I returned with a renewed hope for the world. Yes, a celebrating
world is possible without barriers of castes, gender, religions,
nationalities, ideologies, classes ....If  we can dance together, we can
live together. A wishful thought!! May be. But let me make a wish.

PKR