[Reader-list] Account of Woman Attacked in Bangalore

Inder Salim indersalim at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 21:35:24 IST 2009

may be Hindu Women too need something like Bhatiya Muslim Mahila
Andholan to defend themselves

Today in Times of India too, a pieces appeared :

INDIA'S MUSLIM FEMINISTS JOIN GLOBAL JIHAD FOR GENDER JUSTICE

lthere is lot to read about this never movement by Muslim women
here is one clip :

Bhartiya Muslim Mahila Andolan launched
Charu Singh
Tribune News Service

New Delhi, January 11
In an effort to empower Muslim women, the international multilateral
organisation, Action Aid, inaugurated a convention and launched the
‘Bhartiya Muslim Mahila Andolan’ here on Tuesday.

Speaking on the occasion journalist, Ms Seema Mustafa, stressed upon
the need for amendment in the Muslim Personal Law so as to ensure an
equal space to women in the community. She added, “The reform requires
a push from the community.”

The Sachar Committee Report indicates that Muslims are the largest
minority community in India constituting oddly 13.4 per cent of the
population. The community is subjected to a poor human development
index, widespread illiteracy, low income, and irregular employment-
implying thereby a high incidence of poverty. Women of the community
are the worst hit bearing not only the burden of patriarchy but also
subjugated to the personal law for ages.

Action Aid has initiated a process in different states where women
from the grassroot level and NGOs have been discussing the need for
women to monitor all the issues concerning their lives. It has
stressed on increasing educational levels, providing livelihood,
security and proper justice to Muslim women across the diaspora.

“The Bhartiya Muslim Mahila Andolan aims at acting as a voice for
Muslim women and demand social, economic, political, civil, legal and
religious rights for the realisation of equal citizenship,” observed
Ms Zakia Jowhar of Action Aid.

The convention centered on the crisis of leadership in the community.
There are no satisfactory answers to who represents the community and
takes responsibility for them. The speakers observed that besides the
government, community leaders should also pay heed to the
socio-economic backwardness of the community and take steps to
ameliorate the condition.

http://indersalim.livejournal.com