[Reader-list] Invitation to Talk by Lata Mani on Rethinking Feminist Response to the Mangalore Pub Attack

Lawrence Liang lawrence at altlawforum.org
Tue Mar 10 11:03:11 IST 2009

*Towards a New Poetics of Practice: Rethinking Feminist Response to the
Mangalore Pub Attack
*
Lata Mani

In this brief note I raise questions that are posed by the nature and form
of feminist response to the attack on women in the Amnesia pub in Mangalore
and to the spirited defence of Valentine’s Day that followed Sri Ram Sene’s
vigilantism. The creative momentum generated by these events suggest that we
may be in a moment in which new activist formations can be forged in
response to Right Wing lawlessness. However, the exclusive recourse to a
liberal discourse of rights and the refusal to engage questions of culture
and ethics have restricted the scope of our interventions and left urgent
sociocultural and economic tensions unaddressed. If we are to “seize the
time” we would need to engage these difficult questions and be willing to
set aside various sacred and secular cows in the process.

Since the intent is to initiate dialogue, Lata Mani will speak for 15
minutes.  Du Saraswathy will respond and the floor will then be opened for
discussion.

Venue: Alternative Law Forum, No. 122/4 Infantry Road, Bangalore- 560001
Date: Friday the 13th (yes I know :), March 2009
Time : 6 PM