[Reader-list] Hindus, Muslims celebrate Lucknow's 'Holi Baraat'

Yousuf ysaeed7 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 11 16:42:35 IST 2009

Dear Kshmendra
Its good to think about how Hindus and Muslims can reciprocate each other's gestures in festivals. Actually you may not find any "hedonistic" Muslim festival today, but there were many more in the past. In fact, many festivals in India did not fall into the identity of any one festival.

Today, before we can talk about participation into each other's festivals, we have to look at whether we are even tolerating each other's festivities. Since yesterday I have heard communal violence broke out in at least 4 different places (in UP and MP) where a simple procession of one community was not being allowed to pass through the area of the other community. In fact, even the concept of a procession needs to be looked at - many people in cities like Delhi simply hate it when someone's religious procession blocks their traffic. Similarly, those participating in the procession don't care if their act brings the whole city to a standstill. Many religious processions are actually partly political procession too. So, how do we define a shared festivity in today's scenerio.

Probably tolerance is more important than celebration.

Yousuf