[Reader-list] Hindu families in Pakistan feel scared, India grants Visa

Taha Mehmood 2tahamehmood at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 18 21:16:58 IST 2009

Dear Kshmendra

I have often smiled a lot while reading your witty responses so this time I
thought it appropriate to include non-verbal reactions in my reply. As is
clearly evident there seems to be some discomfort in that, hence I will try
to refrain from using non-verbal language in future.

It pains me to see that what was clearly plain speak is translated as
arrogance or sarcasm. It was far from that Kshmendera I genuinely thought
what you wrote was more like revisiting a nervous system of concepts which
were pulled together to rule India. It was interesting and I hugely enjoyed
reading it. Please don't take it otherwise.

In fact your articulation on states reminded me of Proudhon's take on nation
states, wherein he argues that a nation state is an instrument of
Governance. Please allow me to share with you a quote from Proudhan-

'To be governed is to be watched, inspected, spied upon, directed,
law-driven, numbered, regulated, enrolled, indoctrinated, preached at,
controlled, checked, estimated, valued, censured, commanded, by creatures
who have neither the right, nor the wisdom nor the virtue to do so.

To be  governed is to be at every operation, at every transaction noted,
registered, counted, taxed, stamped, measured, numbered, assessed, licensed,
authorized, admonished, prevented, forbidden, reformed, corrected, punished.
it is, under pretext of public utility, and in the name of general interest,
to be placed conder contribution, drilled, fleeced, exploited, monopolized,
extorted from, squeezed, hoaxed, robbed;

then, at the slightest resistence, the first word of complaint, to be
repressed, fined, vilified, harassed, hunted down, abused, clubbed, diarmed,
bound, choked, imprisoned, judged, condemend, shot, deported, sacrificed,
sold, betrayed, and to crown all, mocked, ridiculed, derided, outraged,
dishonered.

That if Government, that is its justice and that is its morality'

Please let me know what do you think of this view.

Warm regards

Taha