[Reader-list] Another cause, not pink but blood red...

vaid theite dnyan21 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 19 19:33:33 IST 2009

The points that Pavan and others are making are important and valid and we need to look thoroughly at class structure and its politics in media.

1.	What makes one decide that a “class” supporting to Pink Chaddi is upper and others who are not supporting are upper middle class.
2.	Is Pavan talking about ‘attitude’ white collar class or affluent class with money power?
3.	I wonder if he has been confusing class with caste. Do you want to say that those who are supporting to anti-oppression protests for lowers lower caste people?
4.	It really an issue of serious concern that protests don’t happen for Khairlanji.
Everyone irrespective of class and caste is responsible. But, an issue remains where are those lower class/caste people who are “enlightened” with new era wealth or have reached one step “up” in a ladder by buying houses/flats in posh localities of cities with broadband connections?
5.	It is true that media are biased. But important is to articulate the way in which they are biased. IF we don’t articulate, we shouldn’t be surprised with Swathi’s observation.
6.	There is the class hierarchy that works. To site an example, in a campaign of “Fearless Karnataka”, initially, their draft of memorandum was an interesting read. It said it was a protest by “tax-payers”- Sir, we are tax payers of Bangalore …so it is a duty of police to give us security….etc…this kind of statement, one can understand was a very much class based….corporate….etc…that suited to IT –pink slip city of Bangalore. Now, thankfully, they have changed it saying that
“It is the core responsibility of the state and city police to ensure that public spaces are kept safe for all. Women across class barriers – from powrakarmikas to garment factory workers to students and young professionals in the corporate sector – have today become vulnerable targets on the streets of Karnataka.” Here also, the protest ‘needs’ to explain their benefactors.