[Reader-list] Hindu families in Pakistan feel scared, India grants Visa

Taha Mehmood 2tahamehmood at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 20 21:04:26 IST 2009

Dear Kshmendra

There is no one in this world who can do an interpretation of a message for
us, at best people can only suggest. What ever I say is open to any form
interpretation in any witch's way and vice versa.  Hence in the same vein,
what you suggest as 'arrogant patronizing' might be actually deep reverence
or a homage. In either instance I think it would be hard to make a case for
an assertion. An assertion which sticks. Unless you could substantiate your
claim that 'lol' was in fact an instance of 'arrogant patronizing' by
sharing with us any historical, religious, societal, judicial, literary,
psychological, social, theological, subaltern, cultural history which is not
only universal but also indicative of generally accepted social practice.

If you want to have a conversation on this then I will gladly like to engage
with you on the idea of limits of respect. But we are talking of a
completely different thread here aren't we, so please let me allow you to
set the ball rolling. I look forward to sharing with you an annotative
history of 'slights' and 'insults' and 'arrogant patronizing', and not to
mention 'lol' an expression which seems to become dearer to you now and I
wait for your post and I promise to reply to any such mails.

Regarding other pertinent points which you have raised with such finesse. I
will hesitate before jumping to a conclusion as to who I think is an idiot,
or with respect to the indeterminacy of my writing because I believe, what
we exchange here on the reader-list is priceless in terms of intellectual
content and articulation and I would not like to demean the value of a space
like this. Writing without any thought or jumping to unnecessary conclusions
would be a step in that direction.

So coming back to the point, through the current exchange, I know at least,
what the views of my respected co-members of reader-list community are, in
so far as the idea of nation state is concerned and let me state that I have
taken some measure of trouble to state what I think was relevant.

I humbly acknowledge the most generous act of sharing the views of everyone
who has written on this thread. However I yearn to read an interpretation of
the idea of nation state as other members perceive because the point in
question, the starting post on this thread was a reading about the
predicament  faced by the nation states, with respect to categorizing of
citizens and non-citizens, their resultant prosecution and possible
trajectories of negotiation.

With lots of lol :)

and Warm regards

Taha