[Reader-list] Varun's speech blues

M Javed javedmasoo at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 09:27:40 IST 2009

In today's age of recordings, hidden cameras and CDs, what I don't
understand is, why have we become so lazy that we only depend on what
is there in the recording (whether doctored or not) to prove whether
somebody said something or not. If Varun made a speech in front of at
least a few hundred (or even 20) people, why can't we consider
bringing some of those people as witnesses to what he said? And if
those people tell us a lie, or refuse to cooperate giving a witness
account, or don't want to divulge their names (as one resident of
Pilibhit does) then it becomes even more interesting - it shows how we
play double standards: on one hand we want to spread the hatred
against a community (to gain the other votes), and on the other, we
also want to remain safe and secure from the clutches of law (and
reprisal from the obvious people). So, it is the responsibility of the
election commission to question the eye-witnesses in Pilibhit or other
areas: whether they tell a lie or truth - both ways it will expose our
hypocrisy.

Javed