[Reader-list] Varun's speech blues

Rakesh Iyer rakesh.rnbdj at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 12:28:18 IST 2009

Dear Javed ji (and all)

I feel that for the media, such items are nothing more than a way to gain
TRP's, which is why they have probably forgotten the presence of the people
there. And today, each incident is best captured with the angle of
maximizing one's own viewership at the expense of others. Which is why we
have come up to this. But I think, the absence of a regulator of TV media is
also responsible for all this. And certainly, with all the link between
politicians and media today, you can hardly expect the media to actually be
ethical (DMK --> Sun TV, Jayalalitha --> Jaya TV, In Kerala, CPM, Congress
and the Muslim League have their channel each, and in West Bengal, you have
three channels owned by people belonging to the CPM. As far as NDTV and
others are concerned, they may have heads linked to politicians with a view
to gain favour of them).

And I agree with you that this is something which is disastrous for our
nation, and for the society at large.

As far as Varun Gandhi's views are concerned, I am of the view that today's
politicians have totally misused Gandhi (Mohandas, not Varun)'s ideals of
changing one's idea with the times if it was found to be wrong. Here we have
situations, where Gandhi's notion which was based on whether something is
good for the society and nation at large or not, to something which is good
for oneself or not. And the end result is that a person belonging to the
Nehru-Gandhi dynasty, has now vouched for communal values. After all, in the
BJP, such rhetoric gives one a stronger position in the organization, as
well as gives you a solid votebank for yourself and the party at large.

Regards

Rakesh