[Reader-list] What is in this word "evidence"?

Taha Mehmood 2tahamehmood at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 23 07:56:30 IST 2009

Dear Shveta

Thank you for posting Babli Rai's text. For me the text describes the
diabolical situation of the uncertainty of certain lives trapped in the
certainty of uncertain numbers. I wonder about quantum of scale here because
if in order to survey a seemingly small cluster of urban population the
government has no pukka plan in place to sift through a panoply of
identification papers and documents then how is it going to carry out the
survey of one billion Indians to roll out MNIC?

On the other hand  'fringe' sections of our population trapped in urban
clusters like LNJP seems like a perfect 'case' for testing the veracity of
MNIC regime, I will not be surprised or horrified if some smart babu at RGI
decides to concentrate on specific spatial domains  like 'slums' to
introduce another round of pilot testing of MNIC?

Regards

Taha