[Reader-list] Tasveer ka Bhed - Cloak and Dagger Illustrations in Hindi Detective Fiction

Tasveer Ghar tasveerghar at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 16:15:05 IST 2009

Friends,
Tasveer Ghar, the house of images, invites to you visit our website
with a new visual essay:

Tasveer ka Bhed: Cloak and Dagger Illustrations in Hindi Detective Fiction
http://www.tasveerghar.net/2007/kamal/

This visual essay, written and curated by a Tasveer Ghar fellow Kamal
K. Mishra, explores the shifts from early twentieth century in north
Indian popular visual culture by considering a set of printed book and
cover illustrations that were published with a newly introduced
commercial genre called jasoosi upanyas (detective fiction) in Hindi.
After discussing the production context(s) of this imagery, this paper
will consider through a brief visual analysis, the ways in which the
imagery of popular visual culture of north India appears to have been
heavily influenced by the world of theatre, and somewhat later by
cinema.

On our website, you may also visit our regular features as well as
earlier exciting visual essays such as the following:

Kajri Jain: Monuments, Landscapes and Romance in Indian Popular Imagery
http://tasveerghar.net/2009/kajri/
(Published on 12 February 2009)

Amit Madheshiya and Shirley Abraham: Tiled Gods appear on Mumbai's Streets
http://tasveerghar.net/2008/shirley-amit/
(Published on 12 February 2009)

Stephen Inglis: Pongal Greetings by K. Mahadevan
http://tasveerghar.net/pongal/
(Published on 31 July 2008)

Sujithkumar Parayil: Icons of the Reformist Period and ‘Re-formed’
Icons of the Present
http://tasveerghar.net/2007/sujith/
(Published on 30 June 2008)

Sumathi Ramaswamy: When a Language Becomes a Mother/Goddess
http://tasveerghar.net/stamil/
(Published on 16 April 2008)

Madhuja Mukherji: Remediation: Iconic Images and Everyday Spaces
http://tasveerghar.net/2007/madhuja/
(Published on 31 March 2008)

Vishal Rawlley: Miss Use: A Survey of Raunchy Bhojpuri Music Album Cover
http://tasveerghar.net/2007/vishal/
(Published on 29 February 2008)

Annapurna Garimella: Miniature Societies & Grihani Aesthetics
http://tasveerghar.net/2007/annapurna/
(Published on 29 February 2008)

Atmaram K. Bhakal: Objects of Desire: Commodification of Gender in the
Titles of Popular Hindi Novels
http://tasveerghar.net/2007/atmaram/
(Published on 29 February 2008)

Yousuf Saeed: This is What They Look Like: Stereotypes of Muslim Piety
in Calendar Art and Hindi Cinema
http://tasveerghar.net/mstereo/
(Published on 6 October 2007)

Patricia Uberoi: Good Morning – Welcome – Svagatam: Kitschy Indian
'Welcome' Posters
http://tasveerghar.net/welcome/
(Published on 13 May 2007)

Christiane Brosius: Celebrating More Than the New Year: The Hindu
Nationalist Greeting Cards
http://tasveerghar.net/hgreet/
(Published in April 2007)

Looking forward to your visit and contributions and suggestions about
Tasveer Ghar, a Digital Archive of South Asian Popular Visual Culture.

Tasveer Ghar team

http://www.tasveerghar.net