[Reader-list] reader-list Digest, Vol 68, Issue 62Freedom and right to express at what cost to society.?

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Wed Mar 25 22:35:58 IST 2009

Dear All, Dear Rakesh,

I think that the passivity that might get confused with peace in the
absence of a freedom of expression is better described as stupor.
Peace and Liberty cannot be traded for each other in some ridiculous
zero sum game. If you win peace at the cost of liberty, or liberty at
the cost of peace, you can not enjoy your peace (in the first
instance) or express your liberty (in the second) rendering neither
peace nor liberty substantive and real.

And, as for the rights of people and nation states, as far as I am
aware, all rights, be they to universal adult suffrage, or freedom of
conscience and expression have had to be snatched from the political
establishments of nation states, if not, suffragates and dissidents
would not have been imprisoned by all nation states in earlier times,
including by those that posture as defenders of liberty today.

Finally, what about those who do not qualify as bona fide citizens of
nation states (and there are many such people in the world). Do they
not have rights, and if they do, (and these are recognized in
international law as 'natural rights', and include the rights to life
and liberty) then what are the sources of the rights. They are not
citizens, so their rights cannot be sourced in the state that has
sovereignty over them. So, clearly, the nation state is not the
exhaustive or sole guarantor of rights for persons.

regards

Shuddha