[Reader-list] 'In UP, Brahmins do tactical voting, not Muslims

Taha Mehmood 2tahamehmood at googlemail.com
Mon May 4 06:12:42 IST 2009

Dear Lalit,

I appreciate your response however could I add that the issue at hand
was not particularly about Kashmir at all it was about something else.

The issue at hand was a reflection of how the so called 'Islamic
Community' is generally represented in the main stream media and the
rediff  interview was one of the rare occasion when representation was
a bit interesting maybe because of detailing.

In face of popular expectations on all those who identify themselves
with Islam there are many, who will not vote on expected lines. There
are many who will not support a so called Muslim candidate because of
whatever reasons and as the much talked about case of a Gujjar
candidate from Dausa shows us, there many amongst the so called
Hindus, who may vote for a Muslim to favor caste over religion.

The point being, our intelligent news traders must show some amount of
respect while representing what they think they can call as Islam,
because in their haste for hyper real representation they often miss
the point.

Regards

Taha