[Reader-list] MIT Press - Sound Unbound - Sound Art, Digital Media

Paul D. Miller anansi1 at earthlink.net
Wed May 6 05:42:42 IST 2009

Hello to the Sound Unbound crew!

     I'm just writing to say a basic hi and to give you a tiny update about what's been going on! It's been a while since we all corresponded about Sound Unbound, and there have been many developments. We've had highly successful book launches everywhere from Melbourne, Toronto, Vienna, London, Naples, Paris, Rome, Milan, San Francisco, Washington DC, Yale, MIT and many spots in between, and the book has been pretty much one of MIT's best selling books for the last several months. I still have to hit parts of Asia (Singapore, Tokyo, Seoul, Calcutta etc probably over the summer) and the Moscow/St Petersburg releases will be in the autumn.

    We're getting everything ready for the amazon.com Kindle release of Sound Unbound, and we're getting the book geared up for a "remix" - all essays that were in the normal book form (except Simon Reynolds) will migrate to new electronic forms. To spice up the electronic editions, there will be several additions and many more web links (sound mixes, excerpts from compositions etc). You can follow details at www.soundunbound.com

We're adding a short afterward by an old friend of mine, the renowned hiphop historian Jeff Chang, author of the best selling hip hop history "Can't Stop Won't Stop." More on that in a little while.

During the interim, check out the book! It's doing quite well in the academic scene!

It was very difficult to get everyone's essay into the book, but it's been a gratifyingly dynamic situation. The book isn't really a "commercial" situation - it's been a passion of mine to break down barriers between scenes, styles, and above all - genres. Where else would you find Pierre Boulez and Chuck D hanging out (by the way, I'd love to put you two together one of these days!). Call it "book as playlist entropy!" Anyway, thanks again!

    in peace,
    Paul aka Dj Spooky