[Reader-list] Demo/public meeting against talibanization

yasir ~يا سر yasir.media at gmail.com
Wed May 6 13:29:13 IST 2009

      *WOMEN’S ACTION FORUM*

Post Box No. 13804, Karachi- Email: wafkarachi at yahoo.com

* *                 Women to Reclaim Public Spaces

*Come to a* *Programme of Defiance & Resistance.*

*Karachi** Press Club*, *On 8th May, 2009, 5:30 – 7:30pm*

We invite you to a programme highlighting  the implications of
Talibanisation for women, artists, and minorities in particular, and to our
country in general. The Talibans have created terror through slaughtering of
people, bomb blasts, kidnappings, and destruction of properties which has
led to severe restrictions on women, and displacements of thousands of
people from their homes. It seems their militancy has encouraged some men
and women in some urban centers of Pakistan to admonish and threaten women
on their mode of dress and their presence in public places. This is a
deliberate strategy to purge public spaces of women's presence.

WAF believe Talibinsation is a mindset which cuts across all ethnic lines
and must be resisted by all, and in no uncertain terms. This mind-set abuses
Islam by using it to control others. We believe religion is a private matter
and all citizens of Pakistan are equal citizens We believe peace and justice
must be the guiding light for Pakistan to become peaceful and just society.
To achieve our goal we  must discuss matters together and resolve to act
collectively for greater public good, for this is what democracy is about.

Following are the  key positions and we invite you to endorse them

1.       One constitution and one set of laws for all of Pakistan

2.       The writ of the government must prevail on the basis of moral
authority premised on protection, health, education, livelihood and security
of all persons equally

3.       Urgent de-weaponisation of society

4.       No special accords that compromise  the rights of any  group of
citizens of Pakistan .

Please do attend and bring all your friends – women and men – to show
solidarity with our cause which is also your cause.

Thanking you

Women's Action Forum, Karachi .