[Reader-list] Nepal’s Fictitious Communist Revolution

Pawan Durani pawan.durani at gmail.com
Wed May 6 14:01:37 IST 2009

http://sherryx.wordpress.com/2009/05/05/on-fictitious-revolutions-and-fictitious-revolutionaries-prachanda-resigned/

Some times back, 31 May 2008 i wrote in my article , Nepal's
Fictitious Revolution: Goodbye King , Welcome Microsoft, few lines
which i recalled when i saw great Maoist leader comrade Prachanda
resigning from the office of Nepal's prime minister.

"Azeem Tur" Prachanda
Here is the man who controlled 70% of Nepal through his revolutionary
armed resistance. The Nepali state had no control on 70% of the
territory,the liberated region had Maoist administration, its
taxation, its system. Here is the man on whose call people rose in the
Capital and surrounded the Palace. During the movement one color was
to be seen in Kathmandu and it was Red. The two communist parties of
Kathmandu and Maoists controlled every thing. On there one call,
people who were surrounding the palace could have stormed it. No, but
No. With great pomp and rhetoric , king was sent home and communists
saved the system. They returned the 70% of conquered territory back to
the bourgeoisie. They returned their arms. Like good loyal Liberals
they became part of system, the capitalist system that is.

This was called the great revolution. I unlike most communists have a
problem that i have read Lenin's State and Revolution. He wrote:

"Marx's idea is that the working class must break up, smash the
'ready-made state machinery,' and not confine itself merely to laying
hold of it."

When Pakistani communists were celebrating the "revolution" in Lahore
i had no hesitation in writing and declaring it a "fictitious"
revolution. I knew one thing, one simple thing. There is no revolution
without capture of power. The only problem for humanity is the
reformist degeneration of communist leadership. The degeneration of
communist parties into capitalist liberal democratic parties. They
have the power, like they had in Nepal but they put it on plate and
return it to the bosses with thanks. What do the bosses do, when the
time comes, they strike

Dekho dur Ufak Pe---
back without any gratitude. Like they did to comrade Prachanda,
without any gratitude, that this man who could have snuffed out
capitalism from Nepal and could have galvanized India and ushered in a
new revolutionary epoch, but he choose to give up his land, his arms
to the bourgoiese . They , kicked him out.

What did i say?;

"I dunno why i recall that famous speech by Michael Moore , delivered
at the Oscars, " we like non fiction because We live in fictitious
times , we live in a time where fictitious elections give us a
fictitious president--"

The tragedy continues, we are now having what i call "Fictitious
Revolutions", one has just occurred in Nepal, where a heroic struggle
by people resulted in Communist victory but which resulted in a
"revolution" where "workers" are not in control and capitalism still
rules. Good bye to the King and welcome Microsoft is the Maoist agenda

Yet another of fictitious revolutions is being cooked up in Pakistan,
with "Go Musharaf Go" and "Welcome Capitalism Welcome" is the policy
of Pakistani lawyers and civil society"

Now Prachanda has gone. Our king Mush has gone too, and our revolution
has occurred too, Justice Iftikhar is back.  But change can be seen no
where. Tragedy of fictitious revolutions and fictitious
revolutionaries continue

Now Prachanda and the communist should wait for a genocide and civil
war or become loyalist liberals in that case push people to
disillusionment and face the destruction of whole communist movement
of Nepal. Decades back Leon Trotsky wrote:

"In the last analysis, the crisis of humanity was reduced to a crisis
of leadership of the proletariat"

In the same article Rajesh Tayagi wrote:

As a system of governance, the monarchy had already lost all its steam
since the great people's uprising of April 2006, while the forces of
medieval reaction - hitherto protected under the wings of the monarchy
in Nepal - were already adapting with Nepali bourgeois rule. Because
of this, the abolition of the monarchy in Nepal as a state system, and
the consequent emergence of a republic, has but a limited
significance. This is in sharp contrast to the bourgeois overturns in
19th century Europe, where the emergence of bourgeois republics,
represented a turn in world history. In 21st century Nepal, such a
republic (although a step forward in bourgeois democratic terms) is of
no real meaning and of no practical use for the people of Nepal,
unless and until it puts power directly in the hands of the working
class and through it the peasantry. Power would be meaningless until
it is directed against the bourgeois"

Mr Tayagi wrote and these line now appear to be Prophetic :

"The present turn in the politics of Nepal, presents only a caricature
of the February revolution in Russia in 1917, with no October overturn
in the offing, in the absence of a Bolshevik opposition. We will soon
witness the same surrender of power by its Menshevik leadership,
before the local reaction and imperialist bourgeoisie. We will find
this leadership zealously defending the bourgeois state, law and
property against the people. Unable to advance the revolution even an
inch further, with every passing day, the Maoists would find
themselves more and more trapped inside their false web of bourgeois
democracy. Either the Maoists abandon the working people becoming open
apologists of bourgeois democracy or the working people becoming more
and more disillusioned, will eventually be forced to look for an
alternative to the Maoists"

The tragedy continues. If anyone is interested in studying the history
of crisis of leadership of Proletariat , here are three articles
"Marxism and State" which deal with this question in detail.

Great Urdu write Quratulain Hyder once wrote about Faiz's poem "ye
daagh daagh Ujala" [this night bitten dawn], that it has become an
anthem for her generation, i wonder that betrayal and degeneration of
revolutionary leadership will make it the anthem for how many  more
generations to come-- we are prisoners of the dawn in Nepal and
Pakistan.