[Reader-list] The Islamic Flag of Indian Muslims

anupam chakravartty c.anupam at gmail.com
Wed May 6 20:26:53 IST 2009

Dear Kshmendra,

I have just one problem when such issues are being raised. Why are we
discussing Indian Muslims as a whole because a relief camp in some corner of
this country facing an ethnic conflict? Do you think we, as a nation, are
ready to discuss religion when it is in such a fragile state having clowns
as leaders? Hardening of religious identities are taking precedence over the
basic amenities that a person, a human being, deserves in this country. My
sole objective is to dispel this hardening of our religious identities. And
obviously, keeping in mind the hardening of Hindu identity, which is
scattered worries me more. I feel in process of hardening Hindu identity it
would loose its very essence, its intangible, meditative nature, which one
can experience without even going to a temple. I am equally scared of the
hardening of Muslim identity in the country.

However, I am a Hindu by birth, so I shall only be criticizing, questioning
my faith. I do not have any right to express criticism about a religion,
which I do not belong to. In that way, I feel I can deride this majoritarian
tendency of some power hungry individuals to dominate the religion and mould
its identity in such a way that it can allow only chosen few things to grow.
When several studies are done to explore this religion, find out finer
aspects where this religion gets fused with local forms of worship, there
are another set of people trying to shape up a pan-Indian identity of this
religion by raising issues about an ancient mosque and grandiose plan to
make a temple and turn it into a tourist spot. Next thing I will know is
that Ram is tall muscular DC comic like warrior forgetting the effeminate
imagery of Ram the compassionate one, Tulsidas’ Ram, or Mahatma Gandhi’s
Ram. Ram, who would not have built a temple by destroying another’s place of
worship. Chanchal, don’t you think this is worse than the forced
conversions?

Ironically, a generalised statement: “we do not have food to eat” is
difficult to assert about a nation following the logical and statistical
problems that it may create, But I am surprised that we are comfortable in
the blame game of who caused the first religious strife and asserting
generalised opinions about specific community. Call me a communist,
sickular, whatever you want. The struggle is not about religion; it’s about
being territorial behaving like canines. Who gets to own more land
irrespective of what colour your flag is.

Anupam