[Reader-list] The Islamic Flag of ...

M Javed javedmasoo at gmail.com
Thu May 7 15:55:08 IST 2009

Dear Vedavati

You are right that Hindus and Muslims have been living together for
1000 years, but the real reason they lived together was that (despite
the Alauddin Khaljis and Ghaznavis and Aurangzebs) there also existed
in this country certain saner elements in the form of Kabir, Amir
Khusro, Nizamuddin Aulia, Tulsidas, Surdas, Dara Shikoh, Guru Nanak
and so on, who kept making efforts to bring people together at one
platform despite their differences. And let me tell you that it is
these people (Kabir, Nanak, Khusro) who were outcast in those days in
the same fashion as you want to outcast your "sickulars". Yet we
remember such people as the stalwarts of Indian secular tradition and
so on. There may be some issues related to each person, but I consider
people like Arundhati Roy, Teesta Setalvad, Binayak Sen and Safdar
Hashmi as today's Kabirs and Dadu.

If Hindus and Muslims couldn't survive peacefully in the past without
the intervention of our Sufis and Bhakts, India cannot survive today
without the relentless activism of Setalvad and Swami Agnivesh. I
salute them for keeping the sanity alive.

Javed