[Reader-list] Happy Sunday :) Library and Garbage bins

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Sun May 10 23:14:34 IST 2009

  Dear all,

On the happy-sad subject of libraries (because their presence makes
me happy and their absence makes me sad), here is a little something
i wrote a few years ago for the literary page of the Hindu newspaper
at the invitation of Ranjit Hoskote. You can see the contributions
made by other invitees by following the link below.

Its nothing much, but I thought I would share it since the subject of
libraries has come up.

best,

Shuddha
-----------------
Call for a readers' uprising
http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/mag/2006/09/03/stories/
2006090300030100.htm

I owe more or less the origins of everything I have cared to know to
the hours spent as an awkwardly solitary child and teenager in the
womb of a few libraries in Delhi. The Delhi Transport Corporation's
40 paise tickets would take me on long bus rides every week to the
lost libraries of Nalanda and Alexandria, as I hopped from one Delhi
library to another, running away from the purgatories of school and
the playground, reliving the history of the written word through hot
summer afternoons. In my childhood, my guardian saints were bus
conductors and librarians. One took me to the other. My world,
composed almost entirely of books, lay in their special custody.

`Bookish' was almost an expletive when I was growing up, an
expression usually marked by a snarl, at best by the condescending
sneer of inverted snobbery and muscular athleticism. It is therefore
with some pleasure that I now witness the return of the book and of
reading, of `bookishness' even, into public life. There is even a
perverse pleasure to be had in knowing that the non-reading
chattering class has to endure the fact of a `reading' in order to
access the social smarm of a book launch.

But elsewhere, away from page three, a quiet revolution is under way.
Each day a new independent publisher seems to be announcing an
imprint. Cafes open book corners to ensure that customers stay for
more than one cup of coffee. The `reader' is a demanding, gregarious,
desirous creature and she is to be found everywhere. On the Delhi
metro with a book between stops, on the streets, aided and abetted by
the honourable book pirate and the second-hand book seller, sharing
what she reads by handing out nicely bound xerox copies of expensive
books to friends. Reading and writing circles proliferate online and
in physical spaces. Meanwhile publishers and intellectual property
sharks hike the prices of books, libraries deteriorate, conspiring to
quell the readers' silent uprising.

There is an urgent need for a greater public space that can
accommodate the expanding culture of reading. Most importantly, what
this means is libraries, millions of more libraries. It is a crying
shame that no major city in India has a hospitable public library
system, with an accessible, well-funded, capacious public library.
Delhi has the Delhi Public Library (which is no longer very public,
and hardly a library) hidden away and overshadowed by the Old Delhi
Railway Station, where books are kept in a kind of charming old-world
purdah, as far away from readers as possible. Budgets for the
acquisition of new books are next to non-existent, and the books
themselves languish, uncared for, in various stages of decay in
darkened corners of a cramped space. The satellite libraries of the
Delhi Public Library system in different neighbourhoods of the city
have died unmourned deaths, or are in a terminal state.

What is doubly unfortunate is that the tradition of private
collections forming the nucleus of public libraries, which resulted
in the treasure houses that are the Rampur Raza Library, the Khuda
Baksh Library in Patna, the Sarasvati Mahal Library in Thanjavur or
the David Sassooon Library in Mumbai seems to have gone completely un-
emulated. I am not aware of any significant act of philanthropy in
the decades following independence that has resulted in the formation
of a viable contemporary public library building effort anywhere in
India. The nation has failed its readers. Now it is the turn of
readers to form their own mobile republic of libraries with a
shareable, photocopiable, downloadable, easy-to-pirate constitution.
On 10-May-09, at 5:13 PM, anupam chakravartty wrote:

> Here's a little library's story.
>
> http://www.soundofdrowning.com/lib.html
>
> regards anupam

Shuddhabrata Sengupta