[Reader-list] random question...did you study about the Emergency at school?

A Khanna A.Khanna at sms.ed.ac.uk
Sun May 10 23:29:23 IST 2009

hi,

just wondering...does anyone who was in school in India post 1976 (and
i guess that's many people on this list) remember studying about the
Emergency at school...in Civics or History or anything? as a child
born to a family that was displaced from delhi due to events related
indirectly to the emergency i was to hear some aspects of it recounted
often at home, but as i remember, it simply did not exist in the
narrative of the indian nation that we were offered in the ICSE
syllabus in the 1980s. what was it like in other boards of education?

school is ofcourse only one of many places where these stories are
told, but am wondering in the context of the return of the ghost of
Sanjay Gandhi in the form of his dramatic son (and his apparent desire
for a policy of coercive sterilization, that trope that seems to get
its power through its attachment to a metaphor of emasculation) how we
remember that period.

akshay

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.