[Reader-list] WSJ on the Indian media - "Want Press Coverage? Give Me Some Money"

Kshmendra Kaul kshmendra2005 at yahoo.com
Mon May 11 18:58:18 IST 2009

Dear Anupam

What you are talking about is 2008. We are in 2009 and Newsprint Prices are now around the same level as Oct 2007 which the report forwarded by you refers to as the low base. So current Newsprint prices cannot be an excuse for laying-off employees.

That aside, For-Profit corporates do often lay-off employees for one reason or the other in the name of protecting the bottom-line of their Balance Sheet. This is not particular to the Newspaper industry.

That is unfortunately how Businesses are run. That is unfortunately how Businesses are allowed to run.

Do I agree with that? NO

Do I think that in 'bad' times, every employee should take a cut based on a Zero-Zero Balance Sheet instead of laying-off employees and simultaneously seeking to make Profits? YES

Do I think there should be some kind of Employment Insurance to come to aid of employees (and pay them some reasonable percentage of their usual remuneration for upto 6 or 12 months) when they might be made redundant in 'bad' times? YES

But that is another topic.

Kshmendra