[Reader-list] APJ letter

Kshmendra Kaul kshmendra2005 at yahoo.com
Wed May 13 14:56:14 IST 2009

Dear Rakesh

India is not a Nation-State which I think is also your understanding.

Calling India a Nation-State is a (Oh! so very casually) much favoured definition of India used by many on this list usually accompanied by some or the other kind of attack or dismissal of India.

India is a composite of various ethnicities, languages, cultures, religions etc etc etc etc. India is not a Nation-State.

Your altered term State-Nation is interesting but India is just simply a  is a country. There are other countries in the world. The world is distributed (as of now) into territorial units called countries with areas of common use by common consent amongst the countries.

If there is a loose interpretation of the term Nation-State to be used for India, then by that reckoning every country is a Nation-State (or State-Nation)

This is not a criticsm but additional comments from me.

You wrote """" ..... nation-states are a reality (or state-nation in case of India if I may say so), which can not be washed away. However, this does not mean that we should go around being nationalists. Nationalism is not going to solve the problems of our people (by this I mean the people of our nation/state here). """""""

What is wrong with being a Nationalist? What else would you like the citizens of a country to be if not nationalists? How else can one be sensitive to every 'ill/need' in the country no matter how far removed you are from it?

If being a Nationalist is just simply a slogan it is a meaningless one.

If being a Nationalist means promoting 'Nationalism' that defines it as being particular to only one single group in India (making India into a singular identity Nation-State, then such Nationalism is to be condemned because that can only lead to fragmentation of India and therefore there is nothing Nationalist about it.

Completely disagreeing with what you have written, Nationalism is a good vehicle through which to address (solving is at a distance) the problems of the country. If you are not a Nationalist, you cannot be aware of or sensitive to the composite nature of India.

Does the concept of the Nation have primacy over any other consideration? Yes, to my mind, it does have.

This does not mean (without going into specific examples) that wherever there is a 'substantive conflict with the Nation' to be found that there should be unthinking repression of such conflicting positions in the name of Primacy of the Nation. My reasoning for that is quite simple and goes back to True Nationalism being aware of and sensitive to the composites. You cannot in the name of the Nation, act or speak in a manner that creates turmoil or breaks up the Nation. That is not being Nationalist.

Only the elements of Nature and the Forces of Nature do not respect the boundaries of Nations/Countries. Every other interaction between the people of the world is through National/Country identities.

It amuses me when people talk derisively and disparagingly about Nationalists.

These very people talk about the ills of globalisation and rightly so.

The 'World is one Village' is a promotion that best suits the Multinational Entities who seek Profits/Control all over the globe ignoring  considerations of what toll this extracting of Profits takes. Only a Nationalist attitude can serve as shield against this.

I am glad that I am a Nationalist.

Kshmendra