[Reader-list] Sound Unbound Contributor Wins Pulitzer Prize

Paul D. Miller anansi1 at earthlink.net
Thu May 14 10:55:09 IST 2009

Hey people - I just wanted to write and say what heartfelt congratulations I feel for my friend Steve Reich who won the Pulitzer Prize this year in April. I just wanted to send a word-up to the list.

    His composition "Double Sextext" won the prestigious award. If you have a moment, you can check out the score on the Pulitzer Prize's website:

                http://www.pulitzer.org/works/2009-Music

and hear clips on Itunes.

     Steve Reich wrote the introduction to my book on MIT Press, Sound Unbound, and has been incredibly supportive of my work over the years. Above all, he is a warm hearted and generous spirit.

     You can also hear the composition of his that I remixed with Kronos Quartet coming out soon! More on that in a little bit. On the other hand, the first version of the remix came out on the album "Reich Remixed" with many friends of mine, like Ninjatune's Coldcut. Reich, as always, was a step ahead of many of his peers, and he was the first composer of his generation to commission this kind of remix project.

If you haven't had a moment, please check out Steve Reich's material - he's an amazing composer, and a true American original.

Congrats and best wishes Steve! It's been a long time coming!!!!

in peace,
Paul aka Dj Spooky