[Reader-list] Fw: [friendsforeveronnet] Difficulties faced by LOGO Designers....

anupam chakravartty c.anupam at gmail.com
Fri May 15 18:59:23 IST 2009

dear subhrodip,

while working as a newspaper page designer, even i had a problem with the
way the mast head and anchor are believed to be the two balancing elements
in the standard newspaper. however, such problems have been overcome by the
advent of online media. therefore on certain times, i do not think the
computers are taking over the artist's brain. i think its expanding horizons
for human mind to develop and express itself. however, the greater reliance
on softwares, which is what can be problemmatic.

in terms of logo designing, i am more interested in the way certains aspects
of traditional callgraphy (especially arabic and japanese) playing a role in
logos, and as we know them. copyright issues, over the years i feel stand
trivialised as more and more evolved institutions opt for GNU licenses. so i
guess there will be a phase when we could call CNN and FDA issues to be
really petty :)

in our times, with the revival of tattoo as an "accessory" also has an
important role to play in shaping the private-indie movement of young
entrepreneurs. some of the sites especially www.issuu.com have a fair amount
well researched designs. there are several aspects. if we go by naomi
klien's ideas on brands, the logo becomes as trivial as modern form of
capitalism.

anyway, best wishes for your entrance. if i find more stuff on logos, i
would definately post it.
thanks

anupam