[Reader-list] Election Forecast

swathi shivanand swathi.shivanand at gmail.com
Sat May 16 18:42:45 IST 2009

Firstly, all victory must be tempered with some sobriety. And difficult
questions have to be asked.

We are going to have, yet another time, a prime minister who has not
contested elections. if his record were impeccable, one wonders why he chose
not to stand? One could easily dismiss the idea that 'he was scared that he
would lose" as understandably naive. So what is that had the prime
ministerial candidate not contest elections? Should we wonder what that says
about his (and by extension the congress' and the upa's) notions about
democracy and respect for it?

To nuance your point further, The NREGA and the RTI were passed after much
prodding and much civil society activism. If the UPA is credited with
bringing in these programmes and policies, some credit is also due to the
Left and other Congress allies.

Swathi