[Reader-list] Fwd: Climate change in Ladakh

ravleen saluja ravleen2 at gmail.com
Tue May 19 11:45:51 IST 2009

Hi,
Just wanted to point out an error in this piece, which might have been a
typo, but does make a difference. Ms Shiva says:

"The Gangotri glacier, the source of the Ganga is receding at 20-23 miles
per
year. Millam glacier is receding at 30m/yr, Dokrani is retreating at
15-20m/yr."

The total length of Gangotri is 30 kms so it possibly cannot be receding at
the rate of 20-23 miles per year. When I went to Gaumukh, researchers at the
field stations of various departments posted there told me that it is
anything between 5-15 metres per year. Back in Delhi, even this estimate has
been exaggerated but its certainly not 20-23 miles per year. I am not saying
at all that global warming is not taking place but such figurative error can
sensationalise the situation unneccarily.

regards

ravleen