[Reader-list] The Nano - small car, big responsibilities

Rakesh Iyer rakesh.rnbdj at gmail.com
Wed May 20 00:00:55 IST 2009

Dear all

The article has raised very vital issues, and along with these, some other
issues also come to my mind. These are summed up as follows:

1) Why is it so that the agreement between the Gujarat govt. and the Tatas
for the Sanand plant is in wraps? Why not make the terms of the agreement
public, at least to the Gujarati public? What is there to hide in that?

2) When one looks at the aspect of production of Nano, one must realize the
cost of having too many modes of private transport on the roads in our
cities rather than public transport system which would have led to lower
energy consumption and better and more efficient public transportation at
lower costs.
This has to be analyzed further through studies and other research.

3) The idea of Tata to pressurize govts. through media and other
diversionary tactics is something which has to be looked at. I personally
feel that govts. should realize that it's not Tata but the masses which
decide who has to rule. Therefore, a CM must be responsible to the citizens
and not Tata. So also any govt or a PM.

4) The final point comes up to as whether we need institutions to oversee
such investments taking fruit, as to the manner in which the investment
bears frution and also how they should proceed, or is strengthening the
current institutions working in such direction (if any) is enough?

These are some of the questions we must ask and get answers to before we
come to any conclusion regarding how the industrial sector must be allowed
to flourish.

It is in everybody's interest that an industrial sector gets developed; what
is required is proper transparency and accountability in building industries
and not practicing crony capitalism and double standards.

Regards

Rakesh