[Reader-list] Fwd: Climate change in Ladakh

Nagraj Adve nagraj.adve at gmail.com
Wed May 20 17:10:47 IST 2009

Ravleen, you're right. I noticed it too but since her main theme was the
effects of changing precipitation in Ladakh, I forwarded it without comment.

Her article was particularly sobering since these are regions with very
little natural rainfall, hence less snow will seriously impact post-monsoon
water supply access. One might then see a forced migration, a displacement
that is no less than those by industrial projects or by SEZs and no less
linked to capitalism.
My initial chats with folks from here and there who are engaged in
agriculture suggest that changing rainfall patterns have either been
changing since 15 years or have been perceived by them since then, probably
the latter (but these are two few or initial to say with conviction). One
gets the feeling we are reacting too little too late. It's also a
peculiarity here that massive economic or health or social crises can unfold
with little reaction outside the areas or people affected.
Naga