[Reader-list] Aid for Refugees in Sri Lanka

Subasri Krishnan subasrik at yahoo.com
Thu May 21 17:53:15 IST 2009

Apologies for cross posting.

Dear all,

Some of us are trying to collect some things to be
sent to refugees in Sri Lanka. Below are all the details. Please
contribute whatever you can.

For those outside India, we can
figure out ways in which you could send money across. So please do get
in touch as soon as you can.

Thank you for all your support.

Warm Regards,

Ponni.
--
A call for Aid: Collecting items to
distribute among Refugees in Sri Lanka

This
is a call from individuals concerned about the state of refugees in Sri Lanka at the
end of this military conflict, the brunt of which, many refugees, dead and
alive have faced. Its is expected that around 313,000
IDPs[1]
refugees are in various camps in Sri Lanka. It is important to
remember that a large number of these refugees are women. Please keep this in
mind while making your contribution.

Who are we: we are a
group of individuals
who have been involved in a range of work related to the conflict in
Sri Lanka over the past few years in Sri Lanka and India. For further
details on our
work please contact us and we will be more than willing to furnish any
information you may need in this regard.

arrangements with organizations in Colombo
to duly distribute any amount of items we may collect. It suffices to say that
these organizations have been involved in work around conflict and human rights
in Sri Lanka
since its very inception. For further details on these organizations please
contact us and we will be more than willing to furnish any information you may
need in this regard.

What is needed:

Medicines: Any basic medicines such as
tablets, band aids, cotton etc although it might be preferable to give money
for the acquiring of medicine there locally as it might be easier to transport
within the country rather than from outside, although any contributions in a
large enough scale of medicines themselves would be very welcome.

Clothes: All kinds of clothes for men,
women and children are welcome. Also, bed sheets and towels are also needed. Please
refrain from sending any clothes that are not useable.

Books, notebooks, pens, crayons, sketch
pens, colour pencils: all of these items would be very welcome to
distribute among children in the camps.

Money: Money is needed for buying of
basic items such as sanitary pads, medicine and food and of course drinking
water, which is of enormous scarcity in the camps as of now. All those who wish to contribute money,
kindly contact Ponni Arasu at mailponni at gmail.com
or Priya Thangarajah at ipriyat at gmail.com
for further information.

Collection Points:

Chennai:

Corporate
Accountability Desk

42a,
First Floor, 5th avenue,
Besant Nagar, Chennai - 90

Phone
number : 044 - 24463763 and 9840398852 - Jeny

Mumbai:

Women's
Centre

104/b,
Sunrise Apts

Above
Canara Bank, Vakola,

Santa Cruz (East),

Mumbai, Maharashtra 400055

Ph: 9987398629; 022- 26680403

Bangalore:

Alternative
Law forum

122/4,
Infantry Road,

Opposite
infantry wedding hall,

Bangalore -1

Ph:
080- 22868757

Delhi:

Nirantar

B-64 (2nd Floor), Sarvodaya Enclave

New Delhi 110 017

India

Phone: 91-11-26966334,

91-11-26517726 (telefax)

Website: www.nirantar.net
, The drop in time is from 10 - 5 monday to friday

and 1st and 3rd saturdays.

Kindly
contribute generously and at the earliest so we can begin to provide the bare
minimum for the people in Sri
  Lanka who are now in the midst of one of the
largest humanitarian crises in recent history.