[Reader-list] Indian elections: how to woo Muslims to vote for you

Kshmendra Kaul kshmendra2005 at yahoo.com
Wed May 27 17:43:38 IST 2009

Dear Yousuf

The refrain you quoted "Hamari qaum mein unity nahi hai" is, as you said, used by every community. It is a convienient way of shirking individual introspection, accountability and participation. It is also the acknowledgement of the 'polarization' and at the same time dismissing it. To be used in either way as required.

Another similar whine is "We do not have a Leadership".

Is our Democracy largely built on polarization and herding? Yes it is. Does that make it very meaningful as you rightly wonder ? No it does not.

That is why I describe our present "Democratic" first-past-the-post-is-the-winner system as being a convoluted interpretation of and in fact a mockery of "Democracy". This system feeds on and feeds off the "polarization and herding".

My mention of "Muslims set themselves apart as a group" was as a continuation of the "Muslims" being wooed Posters. In any case, as I wrote earlier "  This is not unique to Muslims, the same is done to and done by other 'groups' based on religion, caste etc."

Muslims do find themselves specially focussed upon at election time. The simple reason for that is the numbers. Political parties try to endow all of them with a singular "Muslim Identity" using Babri and Gujarat as homogenising catalysts for that identity. The enemy could be, sorry, the enemy is BJP and if required Mayawati speaking from a lectern draped with the BJP's Lotus flag. At another time or at another place it could be the Congress.

So I agree with you when you ask "why can't it be the other way around". It is the other way around too. And, it is not unique to "Muslims as a group".

Kshmendra