[Reader-list] VIIIth International Conference of Labour History

Jeebesh jeebesh at sarai.net
Tue Nov 3 15:51:24 IST 2009

Call for Papers
VIIIth International Conference of Labour History

March 18-20, 2010 Delhi India.

The Association of Indian Labour Historians (AILH) in collaboration
with the VVGiri National Labour Institute( VVGNLI)  is organizing the
8th International Conference to be held at Delhi on March 18-20 2010 .
We invite proposals for paper presentation at the conference from
historians, social scientists, labour activists and organizations on
the themes outlined below.

LABOUR HISTORY: EXPANDING THE FRONTIERS

For more than a decade historians in India and outside have been
questioning the framing assumptions of labour history and re-drawing
its boundaries –temporal, spatial, sectoral. What we see in recent
years is a stretching of frontiers and a blurring of lines that
separated the rural and the urban, the formal and the informal, the
organized and the unorganized, the free and the unfree, the modern and
the pre-modern, the public and private, the local and the global.

What does this stretching of boundaries mean for the writing of labour
history? How do these shifts in perspective unsettle terms and
categories with which historians operated? The issue for us today is
not just the inclusion of groups considered marginal, residual but of
foregrounding and centering what lay on the margins of labour
history.  Most histories of labour operated with an assumption of a
homogenous spatial division of environment of work such as the
division between the rural/urban or domestic/ factory. Movement was
assumed to be from one pole to the other. This homogenous division or
unilinear movement can no longer be sustained. There is a need to
develop frameworks with which to grapple with the idea of the radical
heterogeneity of the category of labour.

In the present context of globalisation and liberalization, spatial
inequalities between and within nations have intensified. New spaces
of labour, such as Special Economic Zones, Free Trade Zones have been
produced and familiar places of labour such as the neighbourhoods
(hatas chawls , bustees and kampongs ) and factories have been
restructured. How do we then conceptualise labouring spaces that are
heterogenous? How do we take into account the mutually constitutive
ways in which labouring forms interact with different spatial
environments? We invite scholars to rethink and reformulate spatial
histories of labour focusing simultaneously on the production of
spaces by labouring activities and also on the ways in which different
spatial organizations shape labour forms.

This conference proposes the need to study the multiple linkages
between forms of labour, labouring identities and labouring spaces.
The reconceptualisation of heterogenous labour necessitates drawing on
conceptual resources of other fields of research: on space and
geography, on forests and agriculture, on transport and
communications, on crime, law and war, on migration, disease and
medicine and many other histories and see them in their inter-
connection with histories of labour. We specially invite social
scientists of other disciplines to engage with the questions raised by
histories of labour. The conference aims to link together histories of
the present and the past by inviting scholars, researchers and
activists, engaging with contemporary scenarios and those studying the
many pasts of labour in a common platform. We would like contributions
from different regional and national contexts to develop a comparative
and trans-national perspective.

The conference will be organized around two main rubrics:

1. Spatial histories of labour : Although notions of space have been
implicitly a part of histories of labour, yet there is need to push
and explore how labour is involved in the production of specific kinds
of spaces and how spaces impact on labor. Possible lines of inquiry
that can be developed are:

·      labouring lives and the production of urban space

·      spaces of leisure and sociability

·      Spaces of Resistance

·      Infra-structure, public works and the creation of new spatial
grids

·      The workshop, the factory and the domestic as spaces of work

·      Law regulation and the constitution of spaces.

·      Movement and  migration

1.     Linked histories: Labour needs to be seen in terms of its
connections with other histories. It will be important to see how
scholars working on caste, race, gender, environment, rural society,
forests, tribals, crime and punishment, cinema and representation, and
other areas look at their work through the prism of labour and
labouring identities. Some themes that can be discussed at the
conference are:

Labouring lives and dalit histories

Race ethnicity and labour

Crime criminality and labouring classes

Visualising work, representing labour: art, cinema and histories of
labour

Labour, capital and tribal lives

Ecological regimes and labouring lives

Masculinity femininity and labouring identities

Labour movement and social movements

Submission schedule and other information

Abstracts of the papers and panels proposed should reach us by
November 15. We will inform selected participants by November 22.
Those who wish to set up panels should contact us immediately in the
next two weeks so that the schedule can be made out.

We will take care of board and lodging for all participants for the
duration of the conference.

Our financial resources will allow us to pay the invited participants
2nd class A/C rail fare from any part of India. We regret, that the
AILH will not be able to fund international travel. We will however
strongly support applications of international participants for travel
funding to their respective institutions or other funding agencies

Important Dates:
November 15- Panel and Paper abstracts
November 22- Final Selection of Papers and Panels
February 18-    Final Submission of Papers.

  Abstracts and papers should be submitted electronically

to  ailhconference at gmail.com

For panels and other information contact

Prabhu Mohapatra (prabhuayan at gmail.com )

Chitra Joshi( chitrajos at gmail.com)

About the AILH

The AILH is an association of historians, social scientists, labour
rights activists and organizations founded in 1996 December to promote
scholarly studies of labour. The Association has since 1998 held seven
International Conferences on labour history on various themes. Two
major collections of essays based on recent conferences have been
published ( Labour Matters: Towards Global Histories, Tulika Books,
New Delhi 2009, and India’s Labouring Poor, Foundation Books, New
Delhi 2005). The Association in collaboration with the VV Giri
National Labour Institute, NOIDA has also set up an Archives of Indian
Labour, the largest online depository of labour related documents and
other resources. The archives  can be accessed at www.indialabourarchives.org
.  For further information on the Association and the VVGNLI see www.vvgnli.org
.