[Reader-list] Varadarajan poison

William Mazzarella mazzarel at uchicago.edu
Fri Nov 13 20:11:12 IST 2009

Dear all, and further to Yasir's posting -

You might be interested in the following declaration by my friend Jeremy
Walton at NYU

Dear friends,

There is something of a controversy and scandal brewing here at NYU that
I thought might interest you. A professor in the business school, one
Tunku Varadarajan, writes a weekly column for Forbes; this week, he
wrote about the tragic events at Fort Hood, coining the phrase "Going
Muslim" in analogy to the American idiom "Going Postal". You'll find a
link to his noxious comments below, along with a letter that I have
written in response to the president of NYU and the dean of the business
school. I'd be curious to learns your thoughts...

Best,
Jeremy

http://www.forbes.com/2009/11/08/fort-hood-nidal-malik-hasan-muslims-opinions-columnists-tunku-varadarajan.html

Dear Dean Cooley and President Sexton,

I regret having to write to you in this context, but as a member of
NYU’s Religious Studies Program, it is my obligation to condemn, in the
strongest language possible, Professor Tunku Varadarajan’s recent column
in Forbes (9 November) on the tragedy at Fort Hood earlier this week. As
you no doubt know by now, Professor Varadarajan has coined the
unfortunate, chauvinistic phrase “Going Muslim” to describe the actions
of Major Nidal Malik Hasan and to insinuate viciously that any American
Muslim might harbor a similar, incipient tendency to violence. This is
nothing short of hate speech, and it contradicts the ideals of NYU as an
institution in every respect. In my current undergraduate course, “What
is Islam?”, I devote significant class time and conversation to
disabusing students of the all-too-prevalent Fox News ideology of Islam
as necessarily anti-democratic and, in Professor Varadarajan’s own
vitriolic words, “founded on bellicose conquest, a contempt for infidels a
nd an obligation for piety that is more extensive than in other
schemes.” While it is not the role of scholars of religion to define the
beliefs and practices that they study and teach, it is nevertheless
eminently clear to even the most casual student of Islam that such an
exaggerated, one-sided caricature of Muslims bears little relationship
to the historical and contemporary diversity of the tradition. It is
deeply frustrating that a fellow colleague can so glibly undermine the
sincere efforts on the part of the many faculty members at NYU committed
to the serious study of Islam, and in such a public venue. This is
especially the case given that Professor Varadarajan lists his NYU
credentials first in his biographical blurb at the bottom of the piece,
thereby directly implicating the university in his intolerance. In order
to justify his demagoguery, Professor Varadarajan claims to be a lone
warrior in a battle against ‘political correctness’. Do not be misled—his st
atements not only defy the political sensibility of our university as a
whole, they also militate against its aspiration to balanced, thorough
and impartial intellectual inquiry. I urge you to repudiate his remarks.

Sincerely,