[Reader-list] The Nanubhai Teaching Fellowship: Applications Open for 2010 - 2011

Chintan chintangirishmodi at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 19:05:15 IST 2009

>From http://www.nanubhai.org/index.php/getinvolved-teachingfellowship

The Nanubhai Fellowship is a year long opportunity for passionate, motivated
individuals interested in improving rural education and providing access to
new opportunities for rural students. Fellows work with local teachers,
teach English, and support our capacity building programs by working
directly with the communities we serve.

*Fellows are placed individually in our Gujarati partner schools to:*

   - Teach high school English classes to rural Indian students with a local
   co-teacher.
   - Develop the personal skill levels of their co-teachers in the subjects
   of English and computers following a “Model, Scaffold, Coach, Fade” model.
   - Instruct before and after school free Spoken English classes and
   Technology classes for the students and local teachers.
   - Support schools by developing school capacity through running teacher
   trainings, organizing professional development seminars and doing
   professional and community outreach.
   - Conduct original research within the schools and communities that we
   serve to develop and supplement new programming. Past projects include
   developing a mentoring program between high school and primary school
   students, creating and piloting an integrated Spoken-English and Technology
   curriculum and building up a 200+ book lending library at a partner school.

Fellows live within the rural villages they serve, allowing them to get to
know their students, their students' families and to be completely
integrated with the community.

*Applications are due at 5 pm EST on the 1st Friday of every month and will
be reviewed in monthly groups. The first deadline is January 1, 2010.*
BENEFITS:

What we offer our fellows:

   - Airfare to and from India
   - Living stipend
   - Housing
   - Transportation to/from school (if necessary)
   - Meals
   - Cell phone
   - Internet access
   - Health insurance
   - Curriculum and training

What we look for in a fellow:

   - Bachelor's Degree (M.Ed or Teaching Certificate preferred)
   - Classroom teaching experience (esp. English, ESL or Computer)
   - International experience
   - Demonstrated commitment to education of under-resourced students
   - Flexibility
   - Initiative, creativity, and passion

Intangible benefits for fellows:

   - Development of management and planning skills
   - Cultivation of creativity and interpersonal skills by working in a
   different culture
   - Better understanding of global issues
   - Teaching experience gained in an inexpensive way which will also help
   you better understand your career path or future educational needs

The Fellowship starts in early June of each year and runs until April of the
following year. There are plenty of opportunities for travel within India to
explore and widen your cultural horizons.

For more information, e-mail apply at nanubhai.org This e-mail address is being
protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it or read
about our current fellows' experiences at
http://www.nanubhai-classrooms.blogspot.com. You can also visit one past
fellow's experience at her blog: Cat in India:
http://www.cat-in-india.blogspot.com

We are currently accepting applications for the 2010-2011 academic year and
will be considered on a rolling basis until all positions are filled.