[Reader-list] China objects to J&K road project, India stops work

Pawan Durani pawan.durani at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 15:43:09 IST 2009

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/China-objects-to-JK-road-project-India-stops-work/articleshow/5284208.cms

NEW DELHI: In what seems to be another example of China showing its
assertiveness, the Jammu and Kashmir government has stopped work on a
strategic road project after the Chinese indicated their reservations
over the same. ( Watch Video )

The state government has confirmed that work was stopped on a road
project under the National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (NREGS)
in Demchok in south-east Leh in Ladakh, after the Chinese army
objected.

Chief minister Omar Abdullah confirmed reports that an 8-km road was
being constructed under the NREGS to improve road connectivity and
provide employment to local residents.

Forming the eastern boundary of Ladakh, Demchok is the last inhabited
area on the Line of Actual Control.

“Demchok is right on border which is our last post. People of this
village were building a road under the NREGS scheme. There is a nala
(drain) coming down from the mountains. The western side of the nala
is our territory and the eastern is the Tibetan border. On the other
side (Chinese) have already built a road along this nala upstream. On
our side villagers were building a road. They had completed 4 kms and
suddenly the Chinese came from other side and stopped the work - so
now the road is incomplete,” said Chering Dorjay, chief executive
councilor of the Ladakh Autonomous Hill Development Council. He added
that the road was built because the local population had been
demanding a link.

“We have a hot spring on our side where we have started a
hydro-therapy centre. Villagers had been demanding a road ahead, all
on our side,” he said. He said the Government of India had been
informed about the development.

Official sources said Leh deputy commissioner Ajit Kumar Sahu has
visited the area and submitted a report to the government.

China has used these aggressive tactics earlier as well. A few days
ago National Remote Sensing agency released satellite images of a dam
being built on the Chinese side of the Brahmaputra river. There is
also the suspicion that China has provided the banned militant outfit
ULFA, cover and small arms and weapons.

In Washington recently the Prime Minister had stated on record that
India had taken note of “assertiveness” by China which he did not
fully understand.

Commenting on the latest development Times Now strategic affairs
analyst Mahroof Raza said this put to rest claims that media and
certain elements in the establishment have been overplaying the
Chinese threat.
“This is ample proof. When the Chinese took up construction of a road
on their side close to the LoC – I do not see why the Indian side did
not take it up with Chinese authorities. The villagers have a right to
make their lives more comfortable,” he said.

Hassan Khan – an independent MP from Ladakh said he had been informed
by locals about the road construction being halted and added that the
villagers had asked the district administration and executive agencies
to intervene.

Government sources have told Times Now that though there is no
likelihood at all of war between the two nations, considering China’s
new assertiveness, India has to be prepared for all eventualities and
this includes military ones. In this context, the sources said, steps
towards a military buildup along the Indo-China border have already
been taken.