[Reader-list] Compromise and surrender of principle: A response to an article by Ramachandra Guha

Lalit Ambardar lalitambardar at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 2 23:47:01 IST 2009

In response to an observation over absence of any mention of the ethnic cleansing of Kashmiri Hindu Pandits in one of his articles on Kashmir in Hindustan Times,
Mr. Ramachandra Guha conveniently advised to read his book where in as he claimed he had also ‘commented’ upon the ‘expulsion’ of Pandits & that the ‘issue’ wasn’t relevant to the article.

Any comment on the ongoing pan Islamism inspired secessionist movement in Kashmir minus even any remote reference to the forced exodus of the minority Hindu Pandits, rendering them refugees in their own country does suit some. But   that is –analysing history selectively. Needless to say, his casual approach towards the largest ever post partition ‘displacement’ of a ‘community’ was no inducement to buy his book……

ramguha at ........... to me
I suggest you read my book '……………………’where the Kashmir dispute is discussed at great length (and the expulsion of the Pandits also commented upon and strongly deplored). The issue was irrelevant to my article, however.”

Mr. Ramachandra Guha,
I am submitting herewith the original text of the letter to the editor
(‘hope you have seen its edited version in today's HT) for your ref..
One would have expected a more serious analysis of the prevailing pan
Islamic terrorist violence in Kashmir, from a history scholar of your
stature………..”

Regards all
LA