[Reader-list] Modernity through the eyes of SIN : Call for Speakers

rohitrellan at aol.in rohitrellan at aol.in
Sun Oct 4 16:04:57 IST 2009

Dear All

BIM Trichy Alumni Association has been organizing events in various
cities on topics that explore inter-disciplinary space  (POLIS – June
09 on Politics, Music, Poetry and Cinema), Money (Feb 2008 on Money and
economics, sociology, art and philosophy), Ganges ( Oct 2006 on
cultural symbols) etc.

Our next event is on exploring the concept of Modernity. I am enclosing
a brief write up on the proposed event. We are looking for speakers for
this event. As you may see in the write-up, we need 4 speakers (one
each for 4 different topics – those who would like to relate Modernity
and sin to music, history, paintings and art of conversation.

I would request you to call me if you are interested or if you know
someone who might be interested.

Regards

Abhishek Kumar

99105 58913 (abhishekkumar76 at gmail.com)

Modern Times

Sin – In thought word & action

Modernity has always meant a break from the past. Curiously though the
ways of past often re-appear in future as modern and hold generations
in thrall however Modernity still remains an arrogant and ignorant
derision of past by an over-confident present.

A modern life is characterized primarily by its outlook towards family,
society,
money, religion, sex and God. This outlook is evocatively
captured in various forms of art, history, music, philosophy ad most
interestingly in general day to day conversation.

Modern Times, the event, shall condense and contemporise, centuries of
modernity and primitivism and create a heady concoction of Modern Times
with art, history, music and art of conversation as ingredients.

A riveting story of changing times and their remaining the same

·         A journey through the modernity of Indo, Roman and Islamic
cultures

·         Impressions of Sin on canvas through the ages – Modern and
Primitive

·         Masti with Modernity – A coffee-table chat a la Koffee with
Karan

Anchored by ________with western music as prop

India International Centre

40, Max Mueller Marg, Delhi 3

6th March 2010, Saturday

A BIM Trichy Alumni Association Presentation