[Reader-list] Bird-not-free in Kashmiri folk song

Kshmendra Kaul kshmendra2005 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 6 16:42:36 IST 2009

Dear Inder

1.
Yes obviously you have not seen the 'tota' in Kashmir. I am only guessing that they are more likely to be found in forests (and wetlands as I discvovered) rather than gardens.

I did mention the name of Dr Bakshi Jehangir (earlier incorrectly named by me as Bashir). He records his personal observation and positive identification of the three types (mentioned by me) at http://www.kashmirnetwork.com/birds/list.html.

I am sure you will relish that website http://www.kashmirnetwork.com/.

As I wrote earlier Jehangir specifically (in his Trip-6) mentions the sightings in Shivpora which is bordered on one side by woodlands. http://www.kashmirnetwork.com/blog/trip6.html

Imran Dar and Mithas Dar record sightings (Jul to Nov '07) of the Slaty Headed Parakeet in the Shallabug Wetlands (of the Wular Lake) http://www.nepjol.info/index.php/JOWE/article/view/1853/1973

2.
I see the point you are making with quoting Lal Ded's use of the word "sodras". Yes it has been translated as 'sea' by almost everyone. The "sea" might be needed to be imagined but not the "tota".

My comment to you was on two contentions of yours. One that "tota' is not found in Kashmir and secondly the role you allocated to the "tota". The first one is factually incorrect. The second one, I argued was an incorrect understanding of  positioning of the 'tota'.

Of course with imaginative interpretations (or imagined ones) you can see in anything you choose that it is "layered to match the present conflict in kashmir". Imagination is not licensed.

I am not presuming to question the translating of "sodras" (from "sodur") into "sea" but it is interesting that places in Kashmir (in the environs of the lakes Dal; Manasbal; Wular carry such names as Sodur(a); Sodur-Bal; Sodur-Khon; Sodur-Kot.

It does make me wonder whether the translators (very illustrious names) were hasty in translating "sodras" simply into "sea" (very attractive imagery for mystical meanings) instead of recognising in the "sodras" (the vast bodies of water) the lakes.

"Sodur" also finds itself mentioned iin the Kashmiri Proverb "na'nis vurun chu, sodur purun" (covering or clothes for the naked is like trying to fill the ocean -or is it the lake?)

3.
One Roop Kishen Magazine says about his surname that they are basically Dattatreya Kaul  and that his "great grandfather Pandit Raj Kaul of ZAINDAR MOHALLA, Habakadal; Srinagar was in Maharaja of Kashmir's services, and in charge of Army Magazine stores." From there came the surname Magazine. It is written by some (in keeping with the Kashmiri pronunciation) as Magzine.

4.
Political commentary is found inherent in some (what could be comparatively recent) folk traditions of Kashmir such as Ladi Shah and Baand Paether. Perhaps those escaped your attention.

I would dare to venture that Lal Ded has in her poetry has commented on the Politics of Religious bigotry.

Kshmendra