[Reader-list] plz send a postcard to BOMBAY

Yousuf ysaeed7 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 8 12:39:10 IST 2009

A Postcard from Bombay for Raj

Citizens' Collective Against Censorship

You would have heard of the recent little mess, where a Karan Johar apologised to Raj Thackeray for calling the city 'Bombay.' As pragmatic types pointed out, he was being a sensible businessman - why risk getting your film screenings attacked by goons in one of the most lucrative territories in the country?

Really, what this adds up to is intimidation with the threat of violence. I call it terrorism. Your mileage may differ, but perhaps you agree that it is not something that should be condoned (as our state seems to be doing) or ignored.

Here's a thought.

Send Mr Thackeray a postcard. I'll try to get his postal address. (If you have it, post it in the comments. Or if you have the MNS HQ* address, that should do.) Address it to him in Bombay, not Mumbai.

Don't be abusive. Send a message of peace. I suggest a simple line-drawing of Gandhi (some references below which you can use to guide you; please add more in the comments).

Sign it 'best wishes from Bombay'

(Is this going to make him change his mind? I'll wager not. Publicity means too much to him. Why not try and turn that around and give him lots more bad publicity?)

*
Update: Here's the MNS address.

Maharashtra Navnirman Sena
2nd Floor, Matoshri Towers,
Padmabai Thakkar Road, Shivaji Park,
Mahim,
BOMBAY
400016.
Maharashtra, INDIA
Tel: +91 22 24333599 / 24333699 / 24333799
Fax: +91 22 24333899
e-mail ID : writetous at manase.org