[Reader-list] Bird-not-free in Kashmiri folk song

Kshmendra Kaul kshmendra2005 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 10 16:56:11 IST 2009

Dear Inder

1. You can speak for yourself as not having seen a 'tota' in Kashmir. Please do not speak for me.

2. Your dismissive contempt for factual "research based projects" is interesting. Obviously you are uncomfortable with facts. You are imputing that Dr Bakshi Jehangir (bird-watcher) and Imran Dar & Mithas Dar (reserchers) are liars.

3. Since the given links (photographs of the 'totas'-parakeets) are not your understanding of what is a 'tota' in Kashmir, you should give some idea (through pics) of what is a 'tota' in your view.

4. Your comment that Al Qaeda sees "tota' as an Islamic Bird is ridiculous.

5. "Sodur" in Kashmir is 'Lake'. I tried to guide you towards this by informing you about the various landmarks named after "Sodur" around the Lakes.

6. I told you about a place named  Sodur-Khon (apart from Sodur(a); Sodur-Bal; Sodur-Kot.). It is a point recognised at the inlet to Dal Lake where the Dal is supposed to be the deepest.

7. Your question as to why Lal Ded used "sodras" (variant of 'sodur') instead of saying Wular or Dal is  like asking why (in English) a poet would use 'sea' or 'ocean' or 'lake' instead of using the name for a 'sea' or 'ocean' or 'lake'. Bizzare question.

8. You take too many liberties with Lal Ded by saying that "her well known verse ( vaakh ) on hindu muslim unity is well known jem". That is trivialising Lal Ded and distorting the 'Vaakh' in case you are referrring to 'shiv chui thali thali rozan, mozan hyond tai mussalman, trukh hai chukh paan parznav, soi chai sahibas saety zani zaan'

Lal Ded through recurrant references in her poetry is seen as having surrendered herself to the concept of 'shiv'. In this vaakh too she talks abou 'shiv' being resident in you which transcends any concept of 'hyond' and 'mussalman'.

She goes on to call for recognising the 'trukh' in yourself. "Trukh" is from the philosophical treatise of "Trikha" which is also known variously known as "Kashmir Shaivism" which in turn had it's roots in the "Bhairav Tantra".

Some scholars read "trukh" as "wise". Some replace "hyond" by "bhatta". Some use "shivas" instead of "sahibas".

Since I have some interest in Lal Ded, I would be obliged if you could elaborate upon how this 'vaakh' talks about Hindu-Muslim Unity or any other references in her poetry that seek (what you call) "reconcillation between these two drifting identities ".

Scholars who question this 'vaakh' as being an authentic one from Lal Ded is because of the use of the word "hyond" (variant of Hindu). Everywhere else the word used by Lal Ded is "bhatta". Even in our lifetimes the word "hyond" or even "hindu" is not common currency when referring to local Kashmiri Pandits (Bhattas).

I see it differently though and I have no way of questioning the authencity of the 'vaakh' as being a Lal Ded one.

I see Lal Ded rejecting whatever the terms "hyond" (hindu) and "mussalmaan" represented and instead rooting for surrender to "shiv" and urging the following of the path of the 'trukh' (Trikha). As is obvious, I do not see the Kashmiri Pandit (the Bhatta) as being automatically a "Hindu".

Again, as I wrote earlier, some scholars translate "trukh" as "wise". So the jury is out on this. What is clear however, is the advice on recognising (surrender to) "shiv" in you and transcending any recognitions such as "hyond" and "mussalman"

9. Your digression is a repetition of your refusal to focus on realities and propagate your own fanciful thinking on Kashmir.

If there was no "Islamic Agenda" in Kashmir, where did the coalition Muslim United Front, the MUF of 1987 elections (not 1989) crop up from. Don't miss the word "Muslim". Was there a "Hindu" agenda driven politics or governance in Kashmir  that compelled the formation of a "Muslim" alliance?

You have yourself (and Sanjay Kak in an earlier mail) spoken about role played by 'India' in the last 2 decades, which is quite close to the formation of the Islam driven Muslim United Front (MUF) of 1987.

Whether in the MUF of 1987 or the subsequent "Azaadi" movement, the essential drive comes from the "Islamic Identity"

I hope this will be my last conversation piece with you in this thread.

Kshmendra