[Reader-list] Fwd: The Government's Planned "Offensive" in Adivasi and Forest Areas

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Tue Oct 13 12:36:46 IST 2009

Dear Nagraj,

Thanks for posting this. I think this statement makes a very sharp
point. The areas that are being targetted are not zones where the
state is not active. It is, in fact, hugely active. The problem is
not that there is 'no development'. 'Development' which has
translated as largesse to rapacious and extractive mining and logging
operations that have encroached on forest land and the rights of
forest dwellers, is the problem. The planned, 'military style'
offensive is the inauguration of a Latin American style Junta
operation in South Asia. We will mark this moment in the histories
written in the future as the moment when the Indian elites and their
client state organs began to unravel because of their own greed. Of
course, the Maoists, who are just another proto-state power on the
make, are no saviours of the forests. Their power lies in their
capacity to extract and extort protection moneys from the very
corporations that they claim to fight. Their is an objective synergy
between their power, and the power of the corporations. This is
neither revolutionary politics, nor the defence of the poor by a
conscientious state, it is a civil war based on who can extract how
much from the land, exactly as unravelled in Central Africa. This is
only the beginning.

The Moghul Empire's demise, after the seeming zenith of the reign of
Shahjahan began with the way in which Aurungzeb committed the empire
into a terminal struggle with insurgencies at the fringes and the
heart of the territory of the empire, more or less close to where the
wars are raging today. Can we see a pattern?

thanks

Shuddha