[Reader-list] kashmir story, but true

A.K. Malik akmalik45 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 13 22:02:50 IST 2009

Dear Mr Salim and Mr Kak,
                             I am unable to understand the logic of the story/incident making it a Hindu-Muslim love/friendship story.There is nothing Hinduism or Muslimism in the context of the incident, it is purely a private affair between three adult persons.
From a pure legalistic angle Sec 497 of the Indian Penal Code states as under:
"Section 497. Adultery

    Whoever has sexual intercourse with a person who is and whom he knows or has reason to believe to be the wife of another man, without the consent or connivance of that man, such sexual intercourse not amounting to the offence of rape, is guilty of the offence of adultery, and shall be punished with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to five years, or with fine, or with both. In such case the wife shall be punishable as an abettor."
It is obvious that the husband's consent was there.But if the wife had also consented as seems evident ,it is a completely private affair between themselves and they need not be ashamed of it since all are adults and have consented without any duress.If there is remorse on the part of any individual,the process is irreversible.The only obvious advice would be not to get tempted by such offers in future and refrain from it.
However if the wife had not consented, it would amount to be rape under Sec 376 punishable appropriately.
I also agree with Mr Kak that the story/incident is not in good taste.The intent of the author is also not understandable.
With regards,

(A.K.MALIK)