[Reader-list] kashmir story, but true

geeta seshu geetaseshu at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 20:52:09 IST 2009

well, when the initial shock and revulsion at this extordinary account
receded somewhat, I tried to make sense of the incident. Some of the
Nandini Sen's comment on the commodification of women, though I couldn't
figure out whether the woman had any agency at all. Quite obviously, she
didn't.

I am puzzled as to whether an incident like this can be re-framed in the
context of the Hindu-Muslim relationship in Kashmir - the lost, sometimes
momentarily regained, elusive frendship that Inder Salim is so desperately
searching for. Also, a thought just occured to me - where are the stories of
women seeking such friendships across the communities? What was the
relationship of Hindu and Muslim women in Kashmir - did they share any space
at all - childhood friendships, shareed memories of studenthood, or of
community living... Perhaps then we can make some sense of this bizzare
notion of male bonding and how false it is, at the cost of the women of
Kashmir.

Apart from the issues of friendship and patriarchy Inder Salim's reading of
this account throws up, I am left with an overwhelming feeling of sadness at
the aberrations such prolonged conflicts ave on human relationships. In my
initial shock, I also wondered at the veracity of the story. But if we look
around us - even in the lap of consumerism and alienation that we are
confronted with in a city like Mumbai - where I am located - how many such
aberrations will come up, violent, unjust and shorn of all love and dignity.
Slowly, these aberrations become the norm....

Geeta