[Reader-list] 665 million in India defecate in open: UN

Karthik Natarajan karthik.natarajan at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 02:01:46 IST 2009

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 11:37 PM, Rajkamal Goswami <
rajkamalgoswami at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Karthik,
> You are every where!(i honestly dont know what that means) You have
> written a rambling version of my point#7! And you could have said the same
> thing in 3-4 sentences,
> my 'ramblings' are aimed at you making a non-issue an issue, the issue is
> that 660 million don not have access to what we would consider a set
> standard of hygiene, i know you would cringe at the word standard, as to who
> sets these standards and why have them, but then again, if you think that
> defecating in the open is not contributing to this issue, then i think we
> need to start over from the very beginning.
>

> Get informed on a few REALITIES karthik. (tried my best to understand the
> logic here... here is what i got.)
>
> 1. Defecating in the open DOESNOT mean defecating on the streets!
> defacing in the open is understandably not in the streets only, but unless
> u are talking about people, like dogs, covering them up once they do the
> due, i think we can consider the consequences to be the same! i am sure that
> flies and germs dont discriminate.
>

> 2. Whatever western agencies say are not sacred. What is the veracity of
> such a number? What method do they use?
> i am sure we have trust issues with figures that the west generate, but
> unless the figure is completely false, i am going to presume that it is
> true. is the issue with the number or with the fact that someone actually
> looked into this matter? and while we are discussing the credibility of this
> number, i wonder if there exists any literature on the number of made up
> figures that the UN or any international agency for that matter releases
> each year.
>

> 3. We CAN"T do anything about it! WE can't bring changes at those scales.
> if we dont believe we cant offer better hygiene to our own citizens, why
> are we even a country? we cant do anything about those who live in poor
> hygiene and die because of it?
>

> 4. Poverty is an IMPORTANT part of human society. The day when we can erase
> all INEQUITIES, human society will cease to EXIST!
> no one is talking of eradicating poverty. i am only talking of
> acknowledging its presence and acting to reduce it. and i am hoping human
> society will continue to exist beyond economic misery, i still have faith
> that we are better than the money we make. and please do explain how poverty
> is IMPORTANT? its present yes, its evident yes again, but i think this is
> the first time i have heard poverty being important.
>

> 5. Some cultures & societies as free to defecate in the open as much as you
> have the freedom to defecate inside a closed claustrophobic latrine. We are
> no one to PREACH them what they should do and what they shouldn't
> just because we are in a position to do so.
>
> no one wants to preach, we only want people to live better lives, i wonder
if your attitude towards education is also similar, in that you would rather
we dont learn because teaching could be taken as preaching and a better way
of living is no good
if good hygiene means the confines(seriously?) of a toilet for those 5
minutes, then please consider it as a favor to us lesser mortals who have
given in to the western habits and know no better. if  i may apply the same
logic to other fields of practice too, i wonder why we shun cannibalism, or
discrimination against groups or any such thing that you would consider
under change of a social practice.

 i might be repeating myself here, but i dont think the point really came
across clearly, lets please focus on how we can get better health standards
to those who dont have it. we have real issues to focus on.

and i think further talks can be on a more one on one basis, too many people
would recieve further exchanges if any and we can try minimizing discomfort
to those unwilling.

--
karthik  natarajan
0091 99232 27049