[Reader-list] Request from Time Out : Questionnaire for Short Filmmakers

rohitrellan at aol.in rohitrellan at aol.in
Sun Oct 18 16:44:00 IST 2009

Hi, calling all film makers to please answer this questionnaire asap
(max by 18th oct evng) and mail it across to sen.jaideep at gmail.com

Sorry for the short notice! Thanks guys!

Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

From: Jaideep Sen <sen.jaideep at gmail.com>

Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 13:55:20 +0530

Subject: Request from Time Out

Hi,

This is a request from the magazine Time Out, Bangalore.

We are currently working on a special feature on short filmmakers,
which we expect to publish in our editions from Bangalore, Mumbai and
New Delhi.

We have put down a few questions for you below here – this
questionnaire has been sent out to a select bunch of filmmakers. I
request you to take a few minutes to respond to us, and Please do pass
this on to as many filmmakers that you know, and would like to include
as part of this feature.

Unfortunately, we have a perpetually tight deadline to work with – I
hope you understand, and we need to get this edition to print by
Sunday, Oct 17. I completely realise the extremely short period of time
that we’re conducting this in, but I do hope you will understand, and
take a few minutes to respond to us.

Please do feel free to call me if you require any kind of
clarifications. I also request you to please include your full names,
and details about the films that you have made, in your responses.

I hope to hear from you at the earliest.

Questionnaire for short filmmakers

What area of short filmmaking currently needs the most attention:
funding, production, direction at the editing stage, or something else?

How would you like to make a case out for short films as a valid art
form that merits being placed alongside any other art form in festivals
and shows?

What will it take for more short films made in India to reach
international audiences?

Do you find short films to be cluttered with larger agendas, and
messages related to specific concerns? Do you believe the medium is
restricted to such intentions?

What are the different media, and avenues, through which it is
practical for short filmmakers to get their work out to the world? Have
you personally been involved in any kind of indie or independent
channels?

Are there any initiatives that you would like to see – apart from
funding prospects and theme-based competitions, to encourage upcoming
short filmmakers?

What is the ultimate acknowledgement – not just in terms of certain
awards, or references from the film industry – that you would like to
associate to your work?

Do you feel the need to take the subject of filmmaking deeper into the
curricula of educational institutions, so that students can think of a
camera as easily as they can access pencils and brushes? How would you
support such initiatives?

How familiar are you with local and regional short films from other
countries? Do you agree that it is healthy to cultivate more such
regional groups?

Do you believe that short films allow the aspect of language to be
reduced in the context of reaching out to larger audiences, despite
barriers? So that the message comes through clearly, without having to
be caught up in dialogues, especially in animated, or musical, and even
silent forms?

Wish you a very happy Diwali.

My best,

Jaideep